Friday, May 29, 2009

Harrison: A Glimpse into Fleeting Childhood


Harrison is often dirty. His face has been known to be smeared with dirt, jam, chocolate, paint, syrup, and pizza sauce. The backs of his hands and his jeans bear the same stains. I used to feel frustrated (okay, frustration still occasionally gets the best of me) that no matter what we ate at a family meal, a good portion of it ended up on his face, body, and clothing. Then one day I had the quiet thought in my mind that he wouldn't always be this little, and I gave my frustration a stern talking-to: "Quiet down--
enjoy every smile through the cereal on his chin."

My sister, Heidi, has the following quote on her blog. I think every mom of boys must feel her heart flutter when she reads it. It definitely makes me think of my four darling packages of truth, beauty, wisdom, and hope.

"A boy is Truth with dirt on it's face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair, and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket."
- Alan Marshall Beck

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Here is the full quote: "Boys are found everywhere — on top of, underneath, inside of, climbing on, swinging from, running around or jumping to. Mothers love them, little girls hate them, older sisters and brothers tolerate them, adults ignore them and Heaven protects them. A boy is Truth with dirt on its face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket.”

I left the beginning part off my blog because I like to think if I ever have a daughter, she will just adore her older brothers. Loved the post. I think Jackson may take after Harrison's tendencies.

Clark said...

Harrison is such a crack up. Reading your stories reminds me of how much fun we have every time we visit.

As a boy who was likewise dirty, I can tell you that as Harrison grows older, the dirt will fade and the truth, beauty, wisdom, and hope will only become more and more apparent. Not a day goes by that Holly doesn't tell me I'm right, handsome, extremely wise, or visionary (in a good way), that's how I know. =)

Dahl Family said...

Love the quote about little boys.

Rachel Anne said...

I love it Amber. With another girl on the way (most likely), I feel an even greater appreciation for my sweet little boy, who may be our only boy. I find myself contantly mourning the future loss of his little boyness and I am saddened by the thought of a Grant with a low voice, hair on his legs, who won't or can't cuddle on my lap anymore.

Amber said...

Fun Rachel Anne! Is this a gender announcement? Did you have your ultrasound? I'd love to hear how it went!