Sunday, February 12, 2012

Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole

I am trying to follow some simple rules of thumb as I prepare meals for our family-- half the plate = fruits and vegetables, 1/4 of the plate = whole grains, and 1/4 of the plate = lean protein. Then encourage milk or other dairy products as well.

We had this for dinner tonight. I loved it! I had made it before, but made some changes this time. I used barley instead of brown rice (both are good, but I wanted to use barley this time.) I added two stalks of celery, about five chicken tenders, cooked and diced, about five fresh mushrooms, diced, and about 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds. It was wonderful, filling, healthy, and simple to put together! If you try it, let me know what you think!

Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole

3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)

¾ cup lentils

½ cup brown rice

¾ cup chopped onion

1 teaspoon italian seasoning

¼ teaspoon garlic powder (I use more)

1 cup grated cheese (cheddar or a blend is preferable)


Directions:

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Mix all ingredients except the cheese in a baking dish (I use an 11 x 7).

Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes.

Then remove the foil, add the cheese, and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

No comments: