Thursday, May 17, 2012

Watery Eyes



The other day, I was trying to encourage Micah to practice his writing while I was busy doing other things. I got out an alphabet book and told him to find the letters in his name and trace, then practice writing them. He was super-excited until he finished the M's. After that, not so much. I coaxed him into practicing his I's as well before he announced that he was all done. So using my mom creativity, I said, “Well, Mi is a nice name, we can just call you Mi. I wonder if the people at kindergarten will know how to spell it. What do you think, Mi?” He laughed and protested at my silliness and was persuaded into practicing his C's. When he lost interest again, and I began calling him, “Mic,” he laughed and protested again, but this time, he said, “Mom, you are making my eyes water.”

I gave Micah a hug and an apology for hurting his feelings. He gave me a greater appreciation for his simple honesty, and a determination to never make his eyes water again.

No comments: