Tuesday, November 4, 2008

One of These Things is Not Like the Other Ones

Harrison has a perpetual tendency to accentuate the negative (in the cutest possible way.) For example, when the bishop at church asked him what he liked about school, he responded, "Nothing." If you asked if he had a fun birthday, he would be likely to respond, "Not really." He always has a sparkle in his eye and a sly smile that reveal his darling sense of humor is just a little on the negative side. So when Harrison came home from school and went to his backpack for his school picture, and said, "My picture is terrible," I was expecting to see the same charming, beautiful smile I had seen in his pictures from years past. I was speechless and laughing to tears when this is the picture he pulled out (ignore the flash from the camera):


When I had finally composed myself, I asked him what he was thinking when he had his picture taken. He said he was trying to have a nice smile. . . . Guess we need to work on that one.

Incidentally, notice the other two children in the pictures-- aren't they as darling as the grinchy one?? By the way, I can only get Dallin to wear a collared shirt on picture day. The kids know that picture day is my choice-- I will be sad when they are no longer amenable to that arrangement. By the way, do you know that Jeff wore the same shirt (not a similar shirt but the SAME shirt) for three years in a row on picture day in high school?? What am I in for???

19 comments:

Clark said...

Oh, that's so funny. I love Harrison. We're so excited to see all you guys in a couple weeks.
-Holly

Heidi said...

I got a good laugh out of that one too. The funny thing about Harrison is that he's got his "negative" humor, but he also has the giggliest laugh of anyone in your family! He's a cutie, grinchy smile and all. Hopefully this school picture goes down in history and eliminates all talk of my "ET" picture.

Jennifer Lomenick said...

That is so funny. Good luck. Your kids are so cute.

Kandis said...

Knowing Harrison and his personality, I can't stop laughing at his school picture, that is HILARIOUS!!! Adam is gonna love this one; that little guy cracks us up!

Jackie B. said...

HAHAHAHA! Ok, that is just totally awesome.

Adam Barlow said...

School Picture Hall Of Fame:

1. Heidi's E.T.
2. Hannah's Vego
3. Harrison's Frankenstein

(I mean all of these in the best possible way).

Rachel Anne said...

That is hilarious. We are still awaiting the arrival of Lauren's school pictures. We'll see what happens. By the way, Dallin and Haven are really looking grown up. Tell Harrison that he made an honest effort and it sounds like he had good intentions. One day this will be one of your favorite pictures!

Dahl Family said...

Ha!Ha! Let Harrison know that when he's older and he's still hearing about this picture I will be there to sympathize. My face is anything but a smile in my preschool picture. Basic story - I cut my hair that morning, my mom couldn't fix it so she pulled it back in a ponytail, I was not happy about that, so I refused to smile.

Rachel said...

Thanks for the laugh! Those can be the best pictures!

ej said...

I love that Harrison- and I thank him for a good belly laugh this afternoon. Same shirt 3 times??? In highschool? On purpose? I never knew :) Sorry I missed your call this morning- I was walking Kenna in to class and didn't know I'd gotten a call. I will try to catch you soon!

Zach and Sarah said...

I've looked at your blog several times in the last few days just to get a good laugh. It works--I laugh every single time.

quadmom said...

That's such a cute post Amber!!

Gabriela Hull said...

Amber!! I cannot believe you found us. I think of you guys so often...in fact last week I was going through some music and came across "I Heard Him Come" and remembered that you played that in Relief Society. You have such a beautiful family! I love your children's names. That's a funny picture of Harrison.

We live in Yucaipa, CA and I teach piano to Jayme's little girl. We have four boys and we are expecting our fifth child next May/June. Where in Oregon do you live?

Gabriela Hull said...

I hope you guys are doing great! It is wonderful to find each other again! Gabby's blog has been the means of finding several different friends that we had lost track of.

Thanks for the post on Marriage/Prop 8. We worked pretty hard on it out here and always like seeing posts that are supportive of good family values.
-Dan

c said...

So very funny! It all gets so much more complicated when they find that strained "smile" skill. I love that it is holding its own right there on the mantel.

Suzie Petunia said...

That look is priceless! So funny.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber, I don't know if you'll remember me or not. Scott and I were in the same married ward with you so long ago. I found you through a comment you made on Gabby's blog. Small world, isn't it. You have a beautiful family. We have 4, our oldest was born in the ward and then we moved that next week. Anyhow, we are living in Kansas City and are in the process of moving to Seattle. Just wanted to say hi.

Traci Pope

Cami Jill said...

That is epic - something you will laugh about FOREVER! Poor guy! Hey happy late birthday by the way!

Lesley, The Mother said...

Amber, I had to show some of the girls at work it made me laugh so hard! Thanks for sharing!